Thursday, November 4, 2010

Product review: I Yudu, Do Yu?


Yesterday was so exciting when my Yudu arrived earlier than expected! Being so busy with other things I dont know how I will find time to use it. But I popped the box open and set it all up. That in itself was a huge task since my studio is sort of in disarray still. LOL! So here's what it looks like all set up:

Now there are many pro's and cons to this machine and there seem to be a lot more cons though I'm not sure why. First there's the price, if you buy it direct from Yudu you will pay a whopping $379 although their infomercial lets you "try it " for 30 days for $30. Well thankfully I resisted that urge to order on the spot.

I opted to research a bit first. Having wanted to get started in screen printing for a long time, but thinking it would cost a fortune and take too much of my already precious space I had put that thought aside, until that sleepless night I saw the yudu ad.

I ended up buying mine from HSN for a deal price of $269 (and found out today that back in April it was $249, so its likely they will offer it at that price again ) Well you gotta love flex pay. The package includes 4 inks, 2 screens, 2 platens extra transparencies and emulsions. They also offer this as a base unit at JoAnns which was on sale last week for $169 and also at Michaels. Word to the wise coupons are not valid on the Yudu Machine. You can however use coupons for supplies. (just bought an extra screen today)

I had the chance to play with it and tried to set and burn my first screen which didnt go over too well on the first try, and led me to understand all the naysayers on this product. But quitters never win, so I just tried again. I will post more details on that in the next post.

Overall, I am very happy with my purchase. Yes the yudu may be just a oversized lightbox and others say you can buy regular screen print kits for about the same cost, but who wants all that bulky stuff taking up space? It has an ease of use once you are over the initial learning curve and if you really want to take it to the next level, there are much easier ways (not to mention CHEAPER) to go about making the most of your yudu. I will cover that as well over the next few posts. My vote is 3.5 stars

No comments: